Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Reading notes: The Giant Crab and Other tales from Old India Part A



Well starting out with the Titular giant crab story...

I'm not entirely sure what the moral of this story is besides for "Don't eat people." I suppose there is probably a cautionary tale of greed somewhere within the story, but it is honestly lost among the rest of the strange story. It does teach teamwork for sure, teamwork in murder... Oh well, I'm sure I won't understand all of these stories.

Up next, the Hypocritical Cat. I actually used this story for my storybook this last weekend, so I am very familiar with this one. I still am not entirely sure if there is supposed to be a moral. I'm starting to think maybe these stories are just about people overcoming adversity. Then again this story does warn against lying about how pious you are and that murder murder is great if you're a mouse but bad if you're a cat.

The next one I read and really have any comments on is the Goblin and the Sneeze. This story legitimately made me laugh because of (unlike the previous two I commented on) the lesson being taught is so blatant and obvious. Basically the story is just, "Always say bless you, unless you want to get eaten by a goblin." It calls back to similar stories that parents tell you to keep you in your bed late at night and what not.

There is so much to say about "The jackal went a wooing" that I don't even know where to begin. The first off is seriously, what are they trying to teach their children with this story. Two of the brothers die and the lioness still gets to live happily ever after (albeit with a slight twinge of loneliness). The jackal just dies, he didn't do anything bad. That is of course unless you consider hitting out of your monetary class a sin...

The stories and picture source

No comments:

Post a Comment